Celebrating Darkness in Art

Beautiful, disturbing, interesting, offensive, mysterious, grotesque, enchanting... all words used to describe the various works that are featured here.
Artistic Devil celebrates the darker, more twisted side of art. Contributing artists share their nightmares and macabre dreams.
Some of the images here are quite graphic and the subjects can even be offensive to some viewers, so be warned as you browse through our collection.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Kurtz

My name is Rev. Kurtz and I am a Warlock/Painter, a student of the Left-Hand Path of Magick. I have studied Magick and Art for years and have been an Active Member in the Church of Satan for 5. (Although my ministerial title comes from another religious authority). All of the paintings on my site have been created during rituals.

I pride myself on seeing the real beauty behind what most would reject as freakish or disturbing. I have found that the common is often the hideous, while the bizarre or unusual possess real beauty. That is why I am drawn to Circus Performers. I have spent years developing and publishing rituals (KillYourGod.com) and work that shows the world the real magnificence in the underground and the strength of the individual through the relentless drive for the development of the mind and body: Reason is my motivation and this work is the result of my spirit.

As an ex-student of the Southern Methodist University arts program, I was asked to leave for failing to comply with school and staff policy of conforming to your art teacher's whims. The irony was I returned 2 years later to earn 2nd place at the 2000 HOPE Memorial Show. The portrait was later slashed by the one who inspired me when she was disappointed in my interpretation of her body. Every piece has a story.

My work has often been refused shows because of the subject matter. One client sent me a note stating she would "prey" for my soul - while another was offended by my "angles and brutal colors."

However, there is good news. The Agora Gallery in New York said: "The work is very expressive. There exists a cadence of color, verve, and a spontaneous exuberance for medium that is captivating and visually exciting. The instinctive style, fluid visceral in presentation reveals a heightened understanding of structure, color and composition to express emotive tenor. Wonderful work. Particularly like: Priestess, Dedication to Eisenman, Hooka Bar, Job, and Freaks."



No comments:

Post a Comment